Video instructions for speakers
To make sure that problems in internet connections don’t disrupt the programme, we ask the speakers to pre-record their contributions. For more information for speakers, read this.
The key requirement is that the length of the video does not exceed 10 minutes.
A good font size is between 20-24 points for content text and 26-32 points for titles, depending on the font. Slides packed with information (e.g. large and detailed infographics) may not be easily legible on a computer screen. We recommend avoiding gifs and other moving images.
Here are instructions on how to record a presentation using screen recorder functions. You can also arrange to be filmed as you give the presentation.
1. Making a video with Zoom
Please note that the following instructions apply when the presenter uses Zoom as the host of the meeting.
- If you are new to Zoom, start by creating a Zoom account. The Basic Zoom account is free and allows 40-minute sessions.
- Open a new meeting. Check that you see a recording icon on the bottom of the Zoom screen or the menu option Record on this Computer.
- If you don’t see either of these recording options, turn on the local recording settings following these instructions.
- The sound settings are in the left-hand corner of the Zoom screen. Select Same as System. Using a headset microphone is recommended. You can ask someone to join you in Zoom to check that your voice is audible and that your microphone works. Instructions for testing the audio
- You can select a virtual background or upload a background image in the Video settings > Choose Virtual Background.
- How to share your slides:
- Open the slides on your computer.
- In Zoom, click Share your slides on the bottom of the screen.
- Select the window that contains your slides. Click Share on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- You should now see your first slide. Turn on the slideshow mode, and you are ready to start.
- Turn on the recording and begin your presentation.
- When you are done, end the meeting. Zoom will automatically save the recording on your computer. More information.
- Watch the video to make sure the sound is clear and that you are happy with the result.
Please note: if the Zoom meeting is opened by someone else than the presenter, the recording will not be saved on the presenter’s computer as they are not the host. On how to record without the host, read this.
You can use Screencast-O-Matic to edit the video.
2. Recording a PPT slideshow
You can record your presentation using PowerPoint.
- Select Slide show
- Select Record Slide show
- Select Record from beginning to start recording from your first slide
- When you’re ready, select Record and start speaking.
- When you’re finished with your presentation, select Stop.
- To create a video file:
- Select File
- Click Export
- Click Create a Video and Pick 720p/Internet Quality (or above)
- Click Create Video
- Save as MPEG-4 Video format (.mp4)
Screencast-o-matic is a free tool for video recording and editing.
Name the video file as corresponding author’s last name_ENRIO2021. Send the video by Monday, 13 September 2021.
Adding closed captions or subtitles makes your video more accessible, and it is also linked to increased understanding. Presentation slides with text may have the same effect. You are warmly welcome to add captions, but we do not require it. If you decide to add captions, check that they do not overlap with your presentation slides.